Friday, May 11, 2012

Spirituality, Labels, and What-not


Due to a friends recent status post on Facebook and the conversation that went along with it, I decided to look up the definition of atheist and agnostic.

--Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.--

--Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable.--

Within the Agnosticism summary there was also talk about Agnostic Atheism- This seems like a major contradiction of terms. I feel that if anyone calls themselves and agnostic atheist then they are not atheist at all.

The subject has interested me as of late due to my own questioning of weather there is actually an omnipotent being generalized as Deity-God or Goddess. I have been asking myself what label would be attached to me at this juncture in my life and I have yet to find an answer. I will I share the thoughts again that i shared the other day in case your interested and missed it.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about spirituality and deity/higher power lately. I do believe that their are energies in this world that can be manipulated, some call this science, some call it divine intervention, some call it magic and many others call it coincidence when it has the affect that was hoped for. Perhaps we manifest our own destinies, by the power of our own mind. Many times we say, I sure wish I was rich but our own negative thoughts of, 'it will never happen' causes our own self fulfilling prophecy. Regardless of how positive we try to be, those negative thoughts sneak in and destroy the manifestation of positive outcome. I have enough personal proof to know they things can be made to happen by the power of intent. I won't go into this because as I said it is my own personal proof and many analytic thinkers can and would break it down to coincidence. That is fine. I do not mind. I can even understand the rationale, but when coincidence is habitual, perhaps then, it is no longer coincidence.

Is there a God or Goddess figure somewhere watching over us and determining what is right and wrong and what we are allowed to do or not do without repercussion? A huge part of me wants to believe that there is an all loving, compassionate sentient spiritual being that cares what I do and acknowledges that I believe, but I am starting to think 'No'. The only higher power that holds any merit over our action is called personal moral conscience. I believe even most Christians are guided by this even more than their love of God and the idea of obeying His rule.

Does this categorize me as an atheist, an agnostic or one of the many other labels that society attaches to a belief system or lack thereof. Does it really matter? I suppose not, but my own curiosity demands an answer that I may never get.

Please remember comments are always welcomed and encouraged. I also encourage you to share any of my blogs on any other media source if you feel the desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment